ADSM-L

Re: ADSM Mac Client and Open Transport

1996-05-02 00:07:00
Subject: Re: ADSM Mac Client and Open Transport
From: Paul Zarnowski <VKM AT CORNELLC.CIT.CORNELL DOT EDU>
Date: Thu, 2 May 1996 00:07:00 EDT
We too are experiencing problems with ADSM and Open Transport.  IBM (Brett)
has stated that this is Apple's problem.  I have also seen someone say that
Apple was aware of the problem.  Can anyone point me to a statement
> from Apple < that says that they admit that there is a problem and they are
working on a solution?  I have not come across one myself, and I am getting
a bit uncomfortable waiting for a solution.  Our users, for various reasons,
are not able (or willing) to go back to "classic networking" (i.e., MacTCP).
If a solution is not available soon, these users will simply give up on ADSM
and use an alternative solution.  They are not very sympathetic to the notion
that this is not ADSM's problem.  All they care about is that ADSM is not
working for them, and is sometimes getting in their way.  Apparently, OT is
not a problem for many of the other networked applications that they are
using.

While I don't know what the problem is with OT, I am wondering if there is
some way that ADSM could be recoded to work around the problem, at least
until Apple can fix their code.  If this has been considered, investigated,
and rejected (by IBM), then that would be good to know.  If it hasn't been
considered, then could it be?

I guess what I'm really looking for is some feel for whether this problem
will be fixed in a timely manner, or not (either by Apple or IBM).

Thanks.
..Paul