ADSM-L

Re: Backing up an ORACLE database on AIX

1996-05-02 12:02:40
Subject: Re: Backing up an ORACLE database on AIX
From: "Andrew M. Raibeck" <araibeck AT VNET.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 2 May 1996 09:02:40 PDT
Linnea T. Nichols asks:

>We are trying to set up a backup scenario for an ORACLE database on an
>AIX box. What we want to do is to have the backup performed at a set
>time as determined by this system's administrator, and not have it use
>an ADSM scheduled backup.
     <remainder of post deleted>

Depending on the directory structure, this may or may not work, but....

If the ORACLE databases reside by themselves in their own directory or
directories, you can try this:

1) Add this statement to your dsm.sys file:

      VIRTUALMountpoint     <oracledb/directory/name>

   You can have as many of these statements as you need, one per
   directory. For example, if the databases reside in /ORACLE/db1 and
   /ORACLE/db2, you can say:

      VIRTUALMountpoint     /ORACLE/db1
      VIRTUALMountpoint     /ORACLE/db2

2) Ensure that the directories you specified as VIRTUALMOUNTPOINTs
   (i.e. /ORACLE/db1, /ORACLE/db2, or whatever) are not specified in
   the DOMAIN option (coded in dsm.opt).

These statements will cause ADSM to NOT view the directories as part of
the ALL-LOCAL domain. This means that incremental backup won't back them
up, unless you explicitly code them in your DOMAIN option. But you will
be able to back them up with the DSMC SELECTIVE command.

This isn't really what the VIRTUALMOUNTPOINT option was designed for,
but you can use it in this fashion. The only caveat I can think of is
that if there are other, non-database files in the VIRTUALMOUNTPOINT
directories, they will not be incrementally backed up. But again, the
SELECTIVE backup will pick them up.

Hope this helps,

Andy Raibeck
ADSM Level 2 Support