ADSM-L

Re: Large Requirements with ADSM

1995-11-30 12:16:28
Subject: Re: Large Requirements with ADSM
From: Chris Hopkins <cjhopkin AT ON.BELL DOT CA>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 1995 12:16:28 -0500
Kevin:

Thanks for the info...  I have yet to receive the RED books from IBM, but
have been led to believe that I can request ADSM to pick files based on age.
If this is not true then I might have to write something which selects the
'day-5' files and sends these to tape directly.

The biggest problem (according to one IBM rep) is the number of filenames.
They felt that this number was so high that the ADSM inventory (index I
presume) would become a bottleneck and would impact both storing and
retreiving specific files.  I need to know if there is any validity to this
comment.  I could write something which puts multiple files into a tar file,
and then give that tar file to ADSM, however this is alot more work.

Regards, Chris

>Chris,
>We back up about 18 GB nightly. 12 GB goes to disk and the rest straight to
>tape. We then migrate the disk files to tape prior to the next night's backups.
>Our default management class keeps up to 6 versions the oldest being 1 year. I
>don't know of any way to move day 5 off of the disk buffer specifically. ADSM
>migrates from the buffer based on thresholds. Such as a high threshold of 90%
>and a low of 70% would cause a migration to begin at 90% and stop probably
>slightly less than 70% because of the way ADSM processes based on keeping
client
>files together. We're using an MVS server with STK SILOs so recovery speed from
>tape is not a big deal. Hope that helps.
>Kevin Balmer
>Providian Technology Services

Chris Hopkins
System Analyst/Designer