ADSM-L

Performance problem with dsm, V2.1, AIX 4.1.3

1995-11-30 11:45:31
Subject: Performance problem with dsm, V2.1, AIX 4.1.3
From: "Mike Leuthold, University of Arizona" <LEUTHOLD AT ATMO1.ATMO.ARIZONA DOT EDU>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 1995 09:45:31 -0700
Hi...
        I'm a new user of ADSM so forgive any silly statements I may make.  I've
just set up ADSM on a RS/6000, 590 running AIX 4.1.3 and a EXB 440 tape library.
I've set it up using 2 storage pools for backup and archive, one disk, one tape.
 I have the disk pool set so that files larger than 10M are written directly to
tape.  What I see is that when I fire up dsm and begin an archive, everything
goes fine until it gets to a large file.  dsm asks if I want to store it to a
offline and I say yes.  At this time, the tape library begins to mount the tape
and the cpu usage of the dsm goes to 100%.  From now on, the performance is
terrible (300k/sec) and the cpu usage stays at 100%.  What do I have
misconfigured to cause dsm to use all this cpu?  Thanks.
Mike Leuthold
Atmospheric Sciences
University of Arizona