ADSM-L

Re: ADSM Experiences

1995-09-01 14:38:22
Subject: Re: ADSM Experiences
From: Paul Zarnowski <VKM AT CORNELLC.CIT.CORNELL DOT EDU>
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 1995 14:38:22 EDT
We don't have anywhere's near 1.4T of data, but we do have 250 machines.
I know our avg filesize is much smaller than 40Kb, so the number of files
we manage in our ADSM database is correspondingly higher.  I think we
have about 3 million files in our db now, and about 18.5 million database
records.  We run on an RS/6000, 2 channels of disks.

I suspect it is important to spread your db on as many spindles as you can,
to optimize performance.  We haven't done that yet.  We have 2 duplexed dbvols
on 4 different drives and 2 different channels.  We do see a bit of I/O wait
(as reported by the unix sar/sag commands).  I'd be interested in hearing
what others think about whether faster disks would help aleviate I/O wait
or not.  I suspect much of the wait is due to seeking, and not so much to
actually transferring the data, so I'm not sure that faster disks would
help.  We're currently using Seagate Barracuda's now.

If you think you'd find it useful to talk, feel free to e-mail or call me.
..Paul

Paul Zarnowski                     Phone:   607/255-4757
Cornell Information Technologies   Fax:     607/255-6523
Cornell University                 US Mail: 315 CCC, Ithaca, NY 14853-2601