ADSM-L

Re: Migrating some nodes to a different tape storage pool

1995-09-01 14:30:44
Subject: Re: Migrating some nodes to a different tape storage pool
From: Bill Colwell <BColwell AT CCLINK.DRAPER DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 1995 18:30:44 GMT
In <bitnet.adsm-l%ADSM-L%95090114034263 AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU>,
[email protected] (Melinda Varian) writes:
>Is there any way to move the files belonging to a specific node (or to
>all the nodes in a domain) from one tape storage pool to another without
>moving the files belonging to all other nodes?
>
>I need to do this and would obviously like to avoid doing complete
>backups or an export-delete-import sequence.  (There are about 120 nodes
>and 25G of data involved.)
>
>Melinda Varian,
>Princeton University

I submitted a requirement for a 'move data by node' command which would do
this quite easily.  IBM has given it a 'recognized' status.  If you are in
touch with IBM, how about putting in a plug for it?  ;-)

I can think of a way of doing it if your tape pool is strictly collocated (i.e.
just one node on a tape).  Do a 'query contents <volser> count=1' for all your
tape volumes.  This will list the node which owns the first file on each tape.
find the nodes you are interested in and do move data on those tapes.

If you aren't stictly collocated, then export is the only thing I can think
of.  You may have to delete the filespaces before importing them.

Bill Colwell
C. S. Draper Lab
Email: BColwell AT draper DOT com
Voice: 617-258-1550