ADSM-L

Re: dialing into ADSM for a backup

1995-09-01 14:38:57
Subject: Re: dialing into ADSM for a backup
From: "Wayne T. Smith" <wts AT MAIL.CAPS.MAINE DOT EDU>
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 1995 13:38:57 EST
Susan said..
> Can someone give me a little more detail on how I could set up users to
> DIAL into our network so they could initiate ADSM backups.
>
> Users are MAC or PC users, coming into our network via MAC-SLIP or PC-SLIP.
> If they are registered to ADSM on our VM system, and they have the client ADSM
> code on their workstation, how exactly would they get to ADSM and initiate a
> client session to request a backup ??
>
> I realize that this will not be a wonderfully performing function, so they
> probably should restrict it to very selective backup requests.

Not only would it be a poor performer, your help-desk will hate you.
SLIP and all the parts that make up the communication link are not
reliable enough, nor is the Mac nor Windows ADSM client (V1)
interruptable enough to keep your users happy ... even if they and you
will put up with a couple of days to do the first backup (if you assume
(wrongly) that it will work without problem).

All that said, I back up my 0.5 gig of data at home via slip and a 14.4
modem via a local tape drive and also via ... ADSM.

There is nothing special about where your ADSM client is.  That slip is
involved is not apparent to ADSM.  Just install your Mac/Windows ADSM
client on the slip-connected machines as you would the local-network
machines and start it up.  Using the scheduler program over slip seems
a little weird to me, but I suppose it would be possible ... probably
just not practical for most people.

Hope this helps,

Wayne T. Smith
Systems Group -- CAPS        internet: wts AT maine.maine DOT edu
University of Maine System   BITNET/CREN: WTS@MAINE