ADSM-L

dialing into ADSM for a backup

1995-09-01 13:49:11
Subject: dialing into ADSM for a backup
From: "Brett Walker (408)256-0265 Fax:" <walkerbl AT VNET.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 1995 10:49:11 PDT
Re: Note from you attached below

>Can someone give me a little more detail on how I could set up users to
>DIAL into our network so they could initiate ADSM backups.
>
>Users are MAC or PC users, coming into our network via MAC-SLIP or PC-SLIP.
>If they are registered to ADSM on our VM system, and they have the client ADSM
>code on their workstation, how exactly would they get to ADSM and initiate a
>client session to request a backup ??

For both the Mac and Windows, SLIP support works underneath the TCP/IP
product - so once SLIP session is established with the remote network,
ADSM will just use TCP/IP as usual.

If you're using MacSlip, I believe you can set it up so that when you
try to make a TCP connection, the SLIP script is automatically executed,
making the connection to your network.  You simply need to write the
script to make the connection (there should be some sample scripts
that ship with MacSlip).

Brett
ADSM Development