ADSM-L

Re: client updates

1995-07-28 11:19:23
Subject: Re: client updates
From: Bill Hunter <BHUNTER AT UA1VM.UA DOT EDU>
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 1995 10:19:23 CDT
On Thu, 27 Jul 1995 16:59:05 EDT Paul Zarnowski said:
>Jim, et al,
>
>While self-updating clients would be nice, I'm not sure how I feel about
>bundling this much code into this particular client/server application.
>This kind of feature would be useful not just for ADSM, but for any piece
>of client software that runs all over your organization.  If IBM were to
>add this feature to ADSM, it would be useful to us, but it would be even
>more useful if it could support other applications in addition to the ADSM
>client software.  I'm guessing this would be more than just a little bit
>tricky.
>
>Cornell is part of a "Mandarin Consortium" of universities, and Mandarin
>has this feature in it.  It works rather nicely, but it only exists for
>a subset of the client platforms that we use ADSM on.  We will probably
>go ahead and use it someday to distribute ADSM software for those
>platforms (Macintosh and Windows, primarily).
>
>I would think that there are probably other products available in the
>marketplace that do this sort of thing.  If anyone knows of any, perhaps
>they could mention them here, for others to consider and evaluate.
>
>..Paul
>
>Paul Zarnowski                     Phone:   607/255-4757
>Cornell Information Technologies   Fax:     607/255-6523
>Cornell University                 US Mail: 315 CCC, Ithaca, NY 14853-2601
>--

netview distribution manager could be the answer to automagically updating
software (or 'files' in general) from a central site.  We use it
extensively for 3174 microcode distribution.  It's real slick...

The NDM people had a real nice dog & pony show at the DC share a couple of
falls ago.  Maybe they'll be in Orlando...

Bill Hunter, The U. of Alabama