ADSM-L

Re: client updates

1995-07-27 16:59:05
Subject: Re: client updates
From: Paul Zarnowski <VKM AT CORNELLC.CIT.CORNELL DOT EDU>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 1995 16:59:05 EDT
Jim, et al,

While self-updating clients would be nice, I'm not sure how I feel about
bundling this much code into this particular client/server application.
This kind of feature would be useful not just for ADSM, but for any piece
of client software that runs all over your organization.  If IBM were to
add this feature to ADSM, it would be useful to us, but it would be even
more useful if it could support other applications in addition to the ADSM
client software.  I'm guessing this would be more than just a little bit
tricky.

Cornell is part of a "Mandarin Consortium" of universities, and Mandarin
has this feature in it.  It works rather nicely, but it only exists for
a subset of the client platforms that we use ADSM on.  We will probably
go ahead and use it someday to distribute ADSM software for those
platforms (Macintosh and Windows, primarily).

I would think that there are probably other products available in the
marketplace that do this sort of thing.  If anyone knows of any, perhaps
they could mention them here, for others to consider and evaluate.

..Paul

Paul Zarnowski                     Phone:   607/255-4757
Cornell Information Technologies   Fax:     607/255-6523
Cornell University                 US Mail: 315 CCC, Ithaca, NY 14853-2601