ADSM-L

Re: client updates

1995-07-28 14:27:14
Subject: Re: client updates
From: Bill Colwell <BColwell AT CCLINK.DRAPER DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 1995 18:27:14 GMT
In <bitnet.adsm-l%9507272049.AA18898 AT gate1.srp DOT gov>, jwwhite AT srp DOT
gov (88130) writes:
>Some time ago (2+ years) I gave IBM my ADSM wish list, which included
>a request for "self updating clients".  The concept being that if and
>when a back level client connects to the server, the server should
>detect that back level condition and then send down or instruct the
>client to pull down maintenance from the server.  The client would
>then apply the maintenance on the fly before proceeding with whatever
>operation was originally requested.  Client upgrades would be
>*transparent* and therefore less painfull than they are today.  Is
>anyone else interested in such a feature or heard that it is in the
>works?  If interested, please tell your IBM rep so we can get some
>steam behind this request.
>
>Jim White
>Salt River Project
>Phoenix, Az
>jwwhite AT srp DOT gov

IBM announced a 'Statement of Direction' on 9/11/91 - letter # 291-540.
Parts of it are included below.  At that time they said that they intended
to put 'Inventory control' into the product.  My question for IBM is what is
inventory control, and does it relate the the question at hand, and if so,
when will it be delivered?

(The full text is available in IBMlink.)

- - - excerpts from announcement letter 291-540 - - - -
NUMBER    291-540
DATE      910911
CATEGORY  IO00, IO20, LS00, LS50, WS00, WS20, WS30
TYPE      Programming
TITLE     DISTRIBUTED STORAGE AND PRINT SERVICES DIRECTIONS
ABSTRACT         Today, IBM is providing information on distributed storage and
          print services directions.  Over the next 18 months, IBM will offer a
          series of product releases that will enable customers to more
          effectively manage storage and print resources across the enterprise.
                 Planned Availability Date:  Additional information on terms
          and conditions, prices, availability and National Language Support
          will be announced first quarter 1992.
OVERVIEW  ENVIRONMENT
          (blah blah blah) ...
          o   Enterprise Storage Management Services
              -   Backup/Recovery*
              -   Archive/Retrieve*
              -   Inventory control
              -   Space management