ADSM-L

Re: Bad tape volume

1994-08-03 17:09:25
Subject: Re: Bad tape volume
From: David E Boyes <dboyes AT IS.RICE DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 1994 16:09:25 -0500
> I am running ADSM Rel 1 on VM.  We have a tape volume that the label
> was blown away on.  There is (or should I say was :-( ) data on the
> tape that now is not accessable.

Sigh. This is why we need twinned tapes.

In the meantime, here's something that might work. I managed to
use this when one of our operators did exactly the same thing.
ADSM stores data on the tape in a single large sequential file.

Create a new tape with the old volume label, and use DITTO or
PROC TAPECOPY from SAS to copy whatever information is available
(it's the big long file on the tape). You'll need to look at
another ADSM tape to get the dataset naming convention, but it's
fairly straightforward. Then, do an AUDIT VOLUME xxxxx FIX=YES to
update the database on the contents of the tape. You'll lose a
few files, but the rest of them should be OK and accessible.

I think IBM took my experiences and put out an info APAR; you
might call the support center and see if it ever made it to that
stage.