ADSM-L

Bad tape volume

1994-08-03 13:19:12
Subject: Bad tape volume
From: Dave Crockett <crockett AT VNET.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 1994 10:19:12 MST
>I am running ADSM Rel 1 on VM.  We have a tape volume that the label
>was blown away on.  There is (or should I say was :-( ) data on the
>tape that now is not accessable.   I am not sure what steps I should
>take at this point to clean this up.  I tried doing a QUERY CONTENTS
>on the volume but after waiting a half hour I broke out.  The DSMSERV
>machine was not using any CPU or seeming to be active.  Is that
>command broke or was I not patient enough?  I guess my next step
>is to UPDATE VOLUME xxx UNAVAILABLE.  Will ADSM know that the current
>copies of files on the tape need to be recreated from each node on
>its next backup?  Is there something else I should do?  Any help
>will be much appreciated.

The Query hang problem may be due to a bug that was in one of the service
levels.  It has since been fixed.  It happens on very large queries.

Mitch offered you some good advice, deleting and re-backing up is certainly
an option and an easy way to recover.  However, if this tape might have some
very important inactive data on it and all that has happened is that the
label has been trashed, it may be possible to get the tape relabeled and
then run an AUDIT VOL to recover as much as possible from the tape.  If you
want to go this route, you should call the support center for help.  I know
this has been done with another customer before.  You will also need the
most recent PTF of the Server.

Dave Crockett - ADSM Development
Tucson, AZ - phone: (602) 799-2476
internet: crockett AT vnet.ibm DOT com