Unable to open drive

camlopez

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Hello guys. I'm having a problem unmounting a media from drive. TSM display the following errors:

ANR8779E Unable to open drive mt0.0.0.2, error number=170.

ANR8213W Session open with 10.1.10.21 timed out.

ANR0454E Session rejected by server ORAAPPL2_STA, reason: Communication Failure.

ANR8380I LTO volume EN0029L2 is mounted R/W in drive DRIVE1 (mt0.0.0.2), status: RETRY DISMOUNT FAILURE. (SESSION: 1470)

Recently, I changed the client's IP address to a new one. I made the respective changes in client's configuration files (dsm.sys, devconfig.txt,) and restarted the services so TSM server can manage the new client's IP but it keep referencing the old one when trying to umount the tape from drive. The new client's IP is 10.1.13.102. I don't know how to make sure TSM reference the new IP, I set the parameter HLADDRESS to 10.1.13.102 and LLADDRESS to respective port (1501), in accordance with client dsm.sys. I'd appreciate some help on this. :confused:

Hi,

I am having the same problems with my TSM 5.2 on AIX and LTO SAN drives.

I have not been able to find out the cause of it and even IBM is not able to go find an explanation.

Personally I think you mix two things up:

the fact that TSM cannot unmount a tape from the drive may have nothing to do with a timed out session.

The tape might have been in use by the session but still try to separate the two problems otherwise you might narrow your investigation too much.

If I suffer from this, I dismount the drive via the library GUI followed by a reset of the drive. Till now it always helped (but did not solve the cause of the problem of course).

Do not forgot to audit your library when this happened. Sooner or later TSM will complaint that it can not find the tape that you have unmounted.

The only thing I can advise you is to open a call with IBM, search in the TSMlog around the time this happened for other errors (especially ANR9999) and if you have a SAN, also involve the switch supplier. Take logs from the switch and send them to the manufacturer. I wish I had a better solution (read the answer to this problem) for you.

I am very interested in further developments on your side regarding this unmount problem.

Good luck!

Abulifia

Hello guys...

I am sure this is problem is solved..but I just would like to inform you that RC 170 means Access Denied to device.

So, in your environments (Windows and AIX), certify that RSM (Removable Storage) service is not running on STA Windows box, paths created correctly in TSM Server regarding to it (including Serial Number - SAN Explorer Software), idletimeout and commtimeout in dsmsta.log are the same of TSM Server (q opt).

In AIX case, see the paths, serial number (lscfg -vl). If they are okay, redefine them.

It's always good the run "show library" command in TSM Server and certify that both online parameters regarding to the library are 1, that means, ready to use. If 0, please, contact HW support.

Best Regards,

Alan

Ricardoa,

What do you mean with ' ....In AIX case, see the paths, serial number (lscfg -vl). If they are okay, redefine them....' ??

Why should you redefine your paths if they are OK ? That means, if the serial number and WWN in TSM matches the WWN and serial number on AIX ?

BTW, we do not use Storage Agent so this could, in my case, not be the cause of the dismount failure.

Abulifia

Back