• Please help support our sponsors by considering their products and services.
    Our sponsors enable us to serve you with this high-speed Internet connection and fast webservers you are currently using at ADSM.ORG.
    They support this free flow of information and knowledge exchange service at no cost to you.

Please welcome our latest sponsor Tectrade . We can show our appreciation by learning more about Tectrade Solutions
  • Community Tip: Please Give Thanks to Those Sharing Their Knowledge.

If you receive helpful answer on this forum, please show thanks to the poster by clicking "LIKE" link for the answer that you found helpful.

• Community Tip: Forum Rules (PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ BEFORE POSTING)

Click the link above to access ADSM.ORG Acceptable Use Policy and forum rules which should be observed when using this website. Violators may be banned from this website. This notice will disappear after you have made at least 3 posts.

TSM Linux work with multiple option files

dcz01

ADSM.ORG Senior Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I got an not so simply question about an possibility to switch option files before starting the backup with an Linux daemon and on the client schedule on the server.
Is there a way to do this?
I wanna use the option -preschedule of the client schedule on the server to start an script to find out if the node i wanna backup is my primary or not. If it is the primary server of my cluster (PostgreSQL-Cluster with pgpool) it should use his normal dsm.sys to backup the dump files to TSM and if not it should use another dsm.sys where the dump files are excluded.
So i haven't to backup the 40-50 GB dump files only once and not from all servers every day.
Can this be done and how?

Greetings
dcz01

marclant

ADSM.ORG Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.ibm.com
That's not going to work. By the time you run the preschedule command, it's too late because the scheduler is already running using an option file, you can't change it.

You will need to do all of what you want to do with a shell script (or language of your choice) and the script would invoke dsmc and backup what you want.

Be very careful with exclude statements, that will expire previous backups if you exclude something today that was backed up yesterday. It might be safer if your script builds a file list of what needs to be backed up, and you use the -filelist option to feed that list to dsmc.

dietmar

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Create 2 Nodes and 2 opt files with different node_name . Maybe with a script to run if needed ...

u could schedule those 2 on 1 Server . Just be careful about monitoring an return codes what it does not result in an error if no processing happens ...

dietmar

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
if you want them in one node on the server u could proxy them to have one Node ( asnode )

shcart

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
I have used 'Dual Personalities' with mutiple but separate scheduler processes in the past to back up dailies to one server and monthly incremental 'Archive Backups' to a separate server.

Advertise at ADSM.ORG

If you are reading this, so are your potential customer. Advertise at ADSM.ORG right now.

DigitalOcean $100 Credit

Support ADSM.ORG and get DigitalOcean FREE credit. DigitalOcean currently offer a $100, 60-day Free Credit for new accounts. Sign-up here:

DigitalOcean Referral Badge

The Spectrum Protect TLA (Three-Letter Acronym): ISP or something else?

• Every product needs a TLA, Let's call it ISP (IBM Spectrum Protect).

Votes: 20 18.7%
  • Keep using TSM for Spectrum Protect.

Votes: 65 60.7%
  • Let's be formal and just say Spectrum Protect

Votes: 13 12.1%
  • Other (please comement)

Votes: 9 8.4%

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
london