TSM Linux work with multiple option files

dcz01

ADSM.ORG Senior Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I got an not so simply question about an possibility to switch option files before starting the backup with an Linux daemon and on the client schedule on the server.
Is there a way to do this?
I wanna use the option -preschedule of the client schedule on the server to start an script to find out if the node i wanna backup is my primary or not. If it is the primary server of my cluster (PostgreSQL-Cluster with pgpool) it should use his normal dsm.sys to backup the dump files to TSM and if not it should use another dsm.sys where the dump files are excluded.
So i haven't to backup the 40-50 GB dump files only once and not from all servers every day.
Can this be done and how?

Greetings
dcz01

That's not going to work. By the time you run the preschedule command, it's too late because the scheduler is already running using an option file, you can't change it.

You will need to do all of what you want to do with a shell script (or language of your choice) and the script would invoke dsmc and backup what you want.

Be very careful with exclude statements, that will expire previous backups if you exclude something today that was backed up yesterday. It might be safer if your script builds a file list of what needs to be backed up, and you use the -filelist option to feed that list to dsmc.

Create 2 Nodes and 2 opt files with different node_name . Maybe with a script to run if needed ...

u could schedule those 2 on 1 Server . Just be careful about monitoring an return codes what it does not result in an error if no processing happens ...

if you want them in one node on the server u could proxy them to have one Node ( asnode )

I have used 'Dual Personalities' with mutiple but separate scheduler processes in the past to back up dailies to one server and monthly incremental 'Archive Backups' to a separate server.

Back