• Please help support our sponsors by considering their products and services.
    Our sponsors enable us to serve you with this high-speed Internet connection and fast webservers you are currently using at ADSM.ORG.
    They support this free flow of information and knowledge exchange service at no cost to you.

Please welcome our latest sponsor Tectrade . We can show our appreciation by learning more about Tectrade Solutions
  • Community Tip: Please Give Thanks to Those Sharing Their Knowledge.

If you receive helpful answer on this forum, please show thanks to the poster by clicking "LIKE" link for the answer that you found helpful.

• Community Tip: Forum Rules (PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ BEFORE POSTING)

Click the link above to access ADSM.ORG Acceptable Use Policy and forum rules which should be observed when using this website. Violators may be banned from this website. This notice will disappear after you have made at least 3 posts.

Restore VM as a stand-alone VMDK file?

DanGiles

ADSM.ORG Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi all. Long time no see!

I am dealing with a bit of a mess here. Long story short, I need to restore a bunch of old VM backups and move them to archive. The TSM is down at v6, and I suspect the VM environment was no better than 5.5. Backups were done using TDP for VMware.

Without getting into specifics (as that would take a very long time), is it at all possible to restore the VM backups as VMDKs without going through the vCenter? The only way I see doing it is to use the vmcli -f restore command then archive the results.

I will need to restore multiple point-in-times for each VM, but it is not evident how to do this. Will the vmcli -f inquire_detail command give me a different object ID for each backup? For file systems, I can see the 1st and last backup dates from the BACKUPS table, so can do a pit starting with the first backup then just increment the pit value by a month and do it again. I can certainly get the start/end dates for the individual VMs from the BACKUPS table, but don't see how to do a pit restore :( I know it must be possible as you can do it through the GUI, but using the GUI for this is totally out of the question.

I hope I am making sense here.

Help me Obi-wan, your our only hope!

Advertise at ADSM.ORG

If you are reading this, so are your potential customer. Advertise at ADSM.ORG right now.

UpCloud high performance VPS at $5/month

Get started with $25 in credits on Cloud Servers. You must use link below to receive the credit. Use the promo to get upto 5 month of FREE Linux VPS.

The Spectrum Protect TLA (Three-Letter Acronym): ISP or something else?

• Every product needs a TLA, Let's call it ISP (IBM Spectrum Protect).

Votes: 18 18.2%
  • Keep using TSM for Spectrum Protect.

Votes: 61 61.6%
  • Let's be formal and just say Spectrum Protect

Votes: 12 12.1%
  • Other (please comement)

Votes: 8 8.1%

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fabiont