Restore VM as a stand-alone VMDK file?

DanGiles

ADSM.ORG Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi all. Long time no see!

I am dealing with a bit of a mess here. Long story short, I need to restore a bunch of old VM backups and move them to archive. The TSM is down at v6, and I suspect the VM environment was no better than 5.5. Backups were done using TDP for VMware.

Without getting into specifics (as that would take a very long time), is it at all possible to restore the VM backups as VMDKs without going through the vCenter? The only way I see doing it is to use the vmcli -f restore command then archive the results.

I will need to restore multiple point-in-times for each VM, but it is not evident how to do this. Will the vmcli -f inquire_detail command give me a different object ID for each backup? For file systems, I can see the 1st and last backup dates from the BACKUPS table, so can do a pit starting with the first backup then just increment the pit value by a month and do it again. I can certainly get the start/end dates for the individual VMs from the BACKUPS table, but don't see how to do a pit restore :( I know it must be possible as you can do it through the GUI, but using the GUI for this is totally out of the question.

I hope I am making sense here.

Help me Obi-wan, your our only hope!

Back