Rentention settings for VE backups

jamesmacd40

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hi

I am working (still) on an environment with TSM for VE (7.1.6.2 on 7.1.7 tsm server - neither are capable of being upgraded to 8.x due to OS limitations/other factors) and am trying to figure out some of the retention settings for the VM's being backed up.
Currently when I look at backup copygroup settings on the Policy Domain set up for the VM backups, i am seeing the following

VEREXISTS - NOLIMIT
VERDELETED - 1
RETEXTRA - NOLIMIT
RETONLY - 180

This indicates to me that really there is no retention on inactive data, it will keep everything forever. the only exception is if a VM is deleted, it will keep that 1 inactive version for 180 days before dropping it for good.

I have been trying to figure out this environment, and from what i can tell, looking at the schedules set up, it appears there are Monthly full backups of the VM's and daily incrementals. I do not know how long the monthly fulls need to be kept, but my assumption is 1 year.
I also believe that some sort of external script is run to delete older VM backups from TSM, not sure the details of that script, waiting for information about it.

I am struggling to come up with a solution here to simplify this.. I dont see any archive option in TSM for VE. the BAclient is not an option to install on every VM, I dont know if another datacenter node can be set up, tied to the VM vcenter environment and bound to a management class that contains a long retention setting....

I am a bit lost on this one here...

Back