• Please help support our sponsors by considering their products and services.
    Our sponsors enable us to serve you with this high-speed Internet connection and fast webservers you are currently using at ADSM.ORG.
    They support this free flow of information and knowledge exchange service at no cost to you.

Please welcome our latest sponsor Tectrade . We can show our appreciation by learning more about Tectrade Solutions
  • Community Tip: Please Give Thanks to Those Sharing Their Knowledge.

If you receive helpful answer on this forum, please show thanks to the poster by clicking "LIKE" link for the answer that you found helpful.

• Community Tip: Forum Rules (PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ BEFORE POSTING)

Click the link above to access ADSM.ORG Acceptable Use Policy and forum rules which should be observed when using this website. Violators may be banned from this website. This notice will disappear after you have made at least 3 posts.

Rentention settings for VE backups

jamesmacd40

ADSM.ORG Member
Hi

I am working (still) on an environment with TSM for VE (7.1.6.2 on 7.1.7 tsm server - neither are capable of being upgraded to 8.x due to OS limitations/other factors) and am trying to figure out some of the retention settings for the VM's being backed up.
Currently when I look at backup copygroup settings on the Policy Domain set up for the VM backups, i am seeing the following

VEREXISTS - NOLIMIT
VERDELETED - 1
RETEXTRA - NOLIMIT
RETONLY - 180

This indicates to me that really there is no retention on inactive data, it will keep everything forever. the only exception is if a VM is deleted, it will keep that 1 inactive version for 180 days before dropping it for good.

I have been trying to figure out this environment, and from what i can tell, looking at the schedules set up, it appears there are Monthly full backups of the VM's and daily incrementals. I do not know how long the monthly fulls need to be kept, but my assumption is 1 year.
I also believe that some sort of external script is run to delete older VM backups from TSM, not sure the details of that script, waiting for information about it.

I am struggling to come up with a solution here to simplify this.. I dont see any archive option in TSM for VE. the BAclient is not an option to install on every VM, I dont know if another datacenter node can be set up, tied to the VM vcenter environment and bound to a management class that contains a long retention setting....

I am a bit lost on this one here...

Advertise at ADSM.ORG

If you are reading this, so are your potential customer. Advertise at ADSM.ORG right now.

UpCloud high performance VPS at $5/month

Get started with $25 in credits on Cloud Servers. You must use link below to receive the credit. Use the promo to get upto 5 month of FREE Linux VPS.

The Spectrum Protect TLA (Three-Letter Acronym): ISP or something else?

• Every product needs a TLA, Let's call it ISP (IBM Spectrum Protect).

Votes: 16 18.8%
  • Keep using TSM for Spectrum Protect.

Votes: 52 61.2%
  • Let's be formal and just say Spectrum Protect

Votes: 10 11.8%
  • Other (please comement)

Votes: 7 8.2%

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cburns