Occupancy discrepancy?

ldmwndletsm

ADSM.ORG Senior Member
Reaction score
Can someone help me here? This is on Linux. Maybe the answer is plainly obvious?

I see a much larger value reported for the physical size than the file system is using. I've seen this on a number of file systems, and there have been no changes to these file systems since the first-time fulls. No deletions. no additions, no metadata changes, nothing. I checked the ctime for everything under these, and the most recent change of status time is well before I ran the first-time fulls. The dsmsched.log file reports that incrementals have run with success every night since, and there have been no reported entries (empty) other than the usual two messages thus:

2020-07-22 21:05:00 Incremental backup of volume '/filesystem1'
2020-07-22 21:16:19 Successful incremental backup of '/filesystem1'

For example, file system1 is reported (df -hlP) as 1.7 TB used. query occupancy nodename filespace1 reports thus:

Number of Files=304,785
Physical Space Occupied (MB)=1,820,070.7
Logical Space Occupied (MB)=1,820,070.7

That's about right, and I ran a find command against the file system (find /filesystem1 | wc) , and it reports 304785 entries, all good. However, for file system2 (also 1.7 TB used), I see this:

Number of Files=367,377
Physical Space Occupied (MB)=2,255,940.2
Logical Space Occupied (MB)=2,255,940.2

The number of files matches what a find reports, but TSM reports a little over a 500 GB increase versus what the OS reports. I see this on a bunch of them, but some are around what I would expect. We are using compression on the client.

I note that the logical and physical space match in all cases as there have been no deletes or expires. We are not using deduplication.

Have you considered "Inactive" files that havent expired yet? It will store all active versions + Inactive versions that havent expired yet. All depends on your Policies.

Back