• Please help support our sponsors by considering their products and services.
    Our sponsors enable us to serve you with this high-speed Internet connection and fast webservers you are currently using at ADSM.ORG.
    They support this free flow of information and knowledge exchange service at no cost to you.

Please welcome our latest sponsor Tectrade . We can show our appreciation by learning more about Tectrade Solutions
  • Community Tip: Please Give Thanks to Those Sharing Their Knowledge.

If you receive helpful answer on this forum, please show thanks to the poster by clicking "LIKE" link for the answer that you found helpful.

• Community Tip: Forum Rules (PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ BEFORE POSTING)

Click the link above to access ADSM.ORG Acceptable Use Policy and forum rules which should be observed when using this website. Violators may be banned from this website. This notice will disappear after you have made at least 3 posts.

Occupancy discrepancy?

ldmwndletsm

ADSM.ORG Member
Can someone help me here? This is on Linux. Maybe the answer is plainly obvious?

I see a much larger value reported for the physical size than the file system is using. I've seen this on a number of file systems, and there have been no changes to these file systems since the first-time fulls. No deletions. no additions, no metadata changes, nothing. I checked the ctime for everything under these, and the most recent change of status time is well before I ran the first-time fulls. The dsmsched.log file reports that incrementals have run with success every night since, and there have been no reported entries (empty) other than the usual two messages thus:

2020-07-22 21:05:00 Incremental backup of volume '/filesystem1'
2020-07-22 21:16:19 Successful incremental backup of '/filesystem1'

For example, file system1 is reported (df -hlP) as 1.7 TB used. query occupancy nodename filespace1 reports thus:

Number of Files=304,785
Physical Space Occupied (MB)=1,820,070.7
Logical Space Occupied (MB)=1,820,070.7

That's about right, and I ran a find command against the file system (find /filesystem1 | wc) , and it reports 304785 entries, all good. However, for file system2 (also 1.7 TB used), I see this:

Number of Files=367,377
Physical Space Occupied (MB)=2,255,940.2
Logical Space Occupied (MB)=2,255,940.2

The number of files matches what a find reports, but TSM reports a little over a 500 GB increase versus what the OS reports. I see this on a bunch of them, but some are around what I would expect. We are using compression on the client.

dicowins

ADSM.ORG Member
Have you considered "Inactive" files that havent expired yet? It will store all active versions + Inactive versions that havent expired yet. All depends on your Policies.

Advertise at ADSM.ORG

If you are reading this, so are your potential customer. Advertise at ADSM.ORG right now.

UpCloud high performance VPS at $5/month

Get started with $25 in credits on Cloud Servers. You must use link below to receive the credit. Use the promo to get upto 5 month of FREE Linux VPS.

The Spectrum Protect TLA (Three-Letter Acronym): ISP or something else?

• Every product needs a TLA, Let's call it ISP (IBM Spectrum Protect).

Votes: 18 18.4%
  • Keep using TSM for Spectrum Protect.

Votes: 60 61.2%
  • Let's be formal and just say Spectrum Protect

Votes: 12 12.2%
  • Other (please comement)

Votes: 8 8.2%

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agent0810