IBM ProtectTier VTL, use every single bytes!

Rigido

ADSM.ORG Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I setup a SP environment with server on AIX and a PT7620 VTL and everything works (I tried DR too and it works) but:
is there a way to maximize VTL usage? I'm at the point where 800GB backup fails even if PT Manager shows more than 1TB of physical space available (dedup is 2.7:1 now).
I thought to add scratch volumes but PT just lowered all cartridges size so, with SP relabel, all cartridges are now 30GB/each (1500 cartridges).
Do you have any hint to maximize VTL usage?

Thanks.

I don't know which algorithm is behind ProtectTier but I think it is not questionable.
That's it, sorry for the silly question...now it is time to empty the VTL, but this is another thread.

Thanks.

Hi Mikey,
luckily I'm just a consultant but I feel bad when I have to talk with customers and tell them that ProtectTier is just garbage and, yes, EOS in November 2020 so we are looking to move to Directory Containers.
We used to have between 3 and 4 dedup ratio with everyday full database backup, that means 1 fresh version every day for 7 days. Ratio started to fall as customer asked to introduce weekly/monthly/yearly versions, more "not so fresh" versions and less dedup ratio (now we are at 2.3:1). Could it be?

Thank you!

Back