• Please help support our sponsors by considering their products and services.
    Our sponsors enable us to serve you with this high-speed Internet connection and fast webservers you are currently using at ADSM.ORG.
    They support this free flow of information and knowledge exchange service at no cost to you.

Please welcome our latest sponsor Tectrade . We can show our appreciation by learning more about Tectrade Solutions
  • Community Tip: Please Give Thanks to Those Sharing Their Knowledge.

If you receive helpful answer on this forum, please show thanks to the poster by clicking "LIKE" link for the answer that you found helpful.

• Community Tip: Forum Rules (PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ BEFORE POSTING)

Click the link above to access ADSM.ORG Acceptable Use Policy and forum rules which should be observed when using this website. Violators may be banned from this website. This notice will disappear after you have made at least 3 posts.

IBM ProtectTier VTL, use every single bytes!

Rigido

ADSM.ORG Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I setup a SP environment with server on AIX and a PT7620 VTL and everything works (I tried DR too and it works) but:
is there a way to maximize VTL usage? I'm at the point where 800GB backup fails even if PT Manager shows more than 1TB of physical space available (dedup is 2.7:1 now).
I thought to add scratch volumes but PT just lowered all cartridges size so, with SP relabel, all cartridges are now 30GB/each (1500 cartridges).
Do you have any hint to maximize VTL usage?

Thanks.

Rigido

ADSM.ORG Senior Member
Reaction score
I don't know which algorithm is behind ProtectTier but I think it is not questionable.
That's it, sorry for the silly question...now it is time to empty the VTL, but this is another thread.

Thanks.

mikeymac

ADSM.ORG Moderator
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Hi, Rigido. Boy, I used to have one of those piles of garbage. We never did a POC before purchase, and BOY did we pay for that. Your 2.7:1 dedupe rate was just about exactly what I got. What the heck is the point?

I remember the issue with creating new volumes where the algorithm adjusts the size for new volumes based on the total number of volumes (both existing and potential), and the total size of the pool. It's a very bad product, and I don't THINK they even make it any longer. (I just checked, and it went EOSL in November 2020). I'm sorry that they stuck you with that kit.

The good news is, if you turn the old Gartner Quadrant for Target Deduplication Appliances upside down, IBM ProtecTier is practically NUMBER ONE!

magic_quadrant.JPG

Rigido

ADSM.ORG Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi Mikey,
luckily I'm just a consultant but I feel bad when I have to talk with customers and tell them that ProtectTier is just garbage and, yes, EOS in November 2020 so we are looking to move to Directory Containers.
We used to have between 3 and 4 dedup ratio with everyday full database backup, that means 1 fresh version every day for 7 days. Ratio started to fall as customer asked to introduce weekly/monthly/yearly versions, more "not so fresh" versions and less dedup ratio (now we are at 2.3:1). Could it be?

Thank you!

Advertise at ADSM.ORG

If you are reading this, so are your potential customer. Advertise at ADSM.ORG right now.

UpCloud high performance VPS at $5/month

Get started with $25 in credits on Cloud Servers. You must use link below to receive the credit. Use the promo to get upto 5 month of FREE Linux VPS.

The Spectrum Protect TLA (Three-Letter Acronym): ISP or something else?

• Every product needs a TLA, Let's call it ISP (IBM Spectrum Protect).

Votes: 20 19.0%
  • Keep using TSM for Spectrum Protect.

Votes: 63 60.0%
  • Let's be formal and just say Spectrum Protect

Votes: 13 12.4%
  • Other (please comement)

Votes: 9 8.6%

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fred49