• Please help support our sponsors by considering their products and services.
    Our sponsors enable us to serve you with this high-speed Internet connection and fast webservers you are currently using at ADSM.ORG.
    They support this free flow of information and knowledge exchange service at no cost to you.

Please welcome our latest sponsor Tectrade . We can show our appreciation by learning more about Tectrade Solutions
  • Community Tip: Please Give Thanks to Those Sharing Their Knowledge.

If you receive helpful answer on this forum, please show thanks to the poster by clicking "LIKE" link for the answer that you found helpful.

• Community Tip: Forum Rules (PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ BEFORE POSTING)

Click the link above to access ADSM.ORG Acceptable Use Policy and forum rules which should be observed when using this website. Violators may be banned from this website. This notice will disappear after you have made at least 3 posts.

DB Size on Hub for adding Spoke

illllm

ADSM.ORG Member
Hi All,

Tried asking IBM and they sent me a link to capacity planning for a TSM server. Thats typical IBM support. Ask a Question and they send you a link to ready. Pardon my frustration with IBM support. Its not up to the standards of other vendors.

Anyways.....here is my question.

How much of database disk space on the Hub server, is required for adding a spoke that will
-backup 1 PB of data
-300 plus billion files
- replicate data

The DB is expected to grow to about 6 TB on the spoke from past experience. However, we dont know what effect it had on the Hub DB.

marclant

ADSM.ORG Moderator
The hub only have summary information about each node and each filespace, the number of files or size of files is not relevant here because the hub doesn't store anything about individual client files, that remains on the spoke. So the higher the number of nodes managed is what will drive the hub DB growth.

illllm

ADSM.ORG Member
Thanks marclant! I was wondering what kind of information the hub stored about the spoke and this answers some of it. I am guessing for 1 PB data and about 100 filespaces, the hub stores about 500 GB total?

Plus , I am just moving the filespaces/clients from one spoke to another to spread the load out. So in terms of the hub, the total size still remains the same ?

marclant

ADSM.ORG Moderator
I am guessing for 1 PB data and about 100 filespaces, the hub stores about 500 GB total?
Amount of bytes is not a factor, only number of nodes and VMs(filespaces). Did you plug in your numbers in the calculator? Make sure to click Add Spoke to add your spoke, put in the number of nodes and VM, click calculate and that will tell you how much DB space the new spoke will take.

Plus , I am just moving the filespaces/clients from one spoke to another to spread the load out. So in terms of the hub, the total size still remains the same ?
It will grow a bit because there's some historical data (not a lot) that will remain on the hub for a couple of weeks or so.

illllm

ADSM.ORG Member
That calculator is nowhere even close to our DB size. We tried using that.
Estimated RequirementsProcessor cores used
Server database disk-volume space (GB)
Archive log space (GB)
Server database 8-KB IOPS capacity
Incoming session data per hour (MB)

This is for :
1 Hub with Ops Center
7 Spokes

We worked it out with IBM before implementing and they told us the DB would not grow beyond 4 TB. In fact they never saw it grow beyond 2 TB.

Our DB is currently 7 TB and it fluctuates between 6.8 and 7.5 during operations and clean up and DB maintenance activities.

I also found that everything from DB disks to data backup disks need 20% free space but thats another topic for discussion.

Hence my concerns.

marclant

ADSM.ORG Moderator
Do you have nodes on the hub doing client backups too? If so, the calculator doesn't account for that, it only accounts for the data gathered by the status monitor on the spokes, which is what you asked for here.

Advertise at ADSM.ORG

If you are reading this, so are your potential customer. Advertise at ADSM.ORG right now.

UpCloud high performance VPS at $5/month

Get started with $25 in credits on Cloud Servers. You must use link below to receive the credit. Use the promo to get upto 5 month of FREE Linux VPS.

The Spectrum Protect TLA (Three-Letter Acronym): ISP or something else?

• Every product needs a TLA, Let's call it ISP (IBM Spectrum Protect).

Votes: 18 18.6%
  • Keep using TSM for Spectrum Protect.

Votes: 59 60.8%
  • Let's be formal and just say Spectrum Protect

Votes: 12 12.4%
  • Other (please comement)

Votes: 8 8.2%

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jifangming