DB Size on Hub for adding Spoke

illllm

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
PREDATAR Control23

Hi All,

Tried asking IBM and they sent me a link to capacity planning for a TSM server. Thats typical IBM support. Ask a Question and they send you a link to ready. Pardon my frustration with IBM support. Its not up to the standards of other vendors.

Anyways.....here is my question.

How much of database disk space on the Hub server, is required for adding a spoke that will
-backup 1 PB of data
-300 plus billion files
- replicate data

The DB is expected to grow to about 6 TB on the spoke from past experience. However, we dont know what effect it had on the Hub DB.

PREDATAR Control23

The hub only have summary information about each node and each filespace, the number of files or size of files is not relevant here because the hub doesn't store anything about individual client files, that remains on the spoke. So the higher the number of nodes managed is what will drive the hub DB growth.

PREDATAR Control23

Thanks marclant! I was wondering what kind of information the hub stored about the spoke and this answers some of it. I am guessing for 1 PB data and about 100 filespaces, the hub stores about 500 GB total?

Plus , I am just moving the filespaces/clients from one spoke to another to spread the load out. So in terms of the hub, the total size still remains the same ?

PREDATAR Control23

I am guessing for 1 PB data and about 100 filespaces, the hub stores about 500 GB total?
Amount of bytes is not a factor, only number of nodes and VMs(filespaces). Did you plug in your numbers in the calculator? Make sure to click Add Spoke to add your spoke, put in the number of nodes and VM, click calculate and that will tell you how much DB space the new spoke will take.

Plus , I am just moving the filespaces/clients from one spoke to another to spread the load out. So in terms of the hub, the total size still remains the same ?
It will grow a bit because there's some historical data (not a lot) that will remain on the hub for a couple of weeks or so.

PREDATAR Control23

That calculator is nowhere even close to our DB size. We tried using that.
Estimated RequirementsProcessor cores used
Server database disk-volume space (GB)
Archive log space (GB)
Server database 8-KB IOPS capacity
Incoming session data per hour (MB)

This is for :
1 Hub with Ops Center
7 Spokes

We worked it out with IBM before implementing and they told us the DB would not grow beyond 4 TB. In fact they never saw it grow beyond 2 TB.

Our DB is currently 7 TB and it fluctuates between 6.8 and 7.5 during operations and clean up and DB maintenance activities.

I also found that everything from DB disks to data backup disks need 20% free space but thats another topic for discussion.

Hence my concerns.

PREDATAR Control23

Do you have nodes on the hub doing client backups too? If so, the calculator doesn't account for that, it only accounts for the data gathered by the status monitor on the spokes, which is what you asked for here.