Audit library

masterixx

Active Newcomer
Reaction score
Hi guys,

TSM Server 5.3.2.0

When i try to Audit library the command is executed too fast (about 1 sec.)

Report says: Audit Library completed success, but this is not correct.

When i try to check in libvol TSM says: I/O error

I check library and drive paht and they are On-line.

Sorry for my bаd english.

Can you post the relevant actlog portion of the checkin? (including the command and parameters)
What type of library you have?

Library is TS3100

I check some tape with: checkin libvol (Library_Name) search=b checkl=b stat=scr waittime=0 now this is OK
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
But the problem with audit command continues

I use command audit library (Library_Name) checklabel=barcode

ANR0984I Process 13 for AUDIT LIBRARY started in the BACKGROUND at 15:43:23.
ANR8457I AUDIT LIBRARY: Operation for library ARMLIB started as process 13.
ANR8461I AUDIT LIBRARY process for library ARMLIB completed successfully.
ANR0985I Process 13 for AUDIT LIBRARY running in the BACKGROUND completed with
completion state SUCCESS at 15:43:23.

The time of start and end is exactly the same.

I don't see a problem with the audit library. It is normal that is quick, because you specified to check by barcode. The library passes its inventory to TSM. There is no actual library mechanical operation.

OK

But i think this is not ok and run audit library without barcode parameter and TSM erase label one 1 tape(and i stop process). Now i want back this tape and run audit library with barcode parameter but this tape is still missing. Should i label this tape manually in automated library with barcode reader ???? Make no sense for my.

What do you mean by "TSM erase label"? You mean it overwrited the internal label?
What is the tape/volume you are looking for? Can you post q libv <mylibrary> <mytape>, and q vol <mytape> f=d.
Your library is configured to report 6 or 8 characters of the barcode?

I did comparison between TSM libv and TS3100 library inventory.

TSM libv
Library Name Volume Name Status Owner Last Use Home
Elemen
------------ ----------- ---------- ---------- --------- ------
ARMLIB 328DDDL3 Private DbBackup 4,110
ARMLIB 329DDDL3 Private DbBackup 4,099
ARMLIB 720LLLL3 Private Data 4,102
ARMLIB 722LLLL3 Private Data 4,107
ARMLIB 723LLLL3 Private Data 4,114
ARMLIB 724LLLL3 Private Data 4,098
ARMLIB 750VVVL3 Private Data 4,108
ARMLIB 751VVVL3 Private Data 4,100
ARMLIB 790LLLL3 Private Data 4,101
ARMLIB 792LLLL3 Private Data 4,109
ARMLIB 793LLLL3 Private Data 4,117
ARMLIB 794LLLL3 Private Data 4,112
ARMLIB A00089L3 Private Data 4,103
ARMLIB A00092L3 Private Data 4,104
ARMLIB A00094L3 Scratch 4,115
ARMLIB A00095L3 Private Data 4,116
ARMLIB A00097L3 Private Data 4,113
ARMLIB A00099L3 Private Data 4,097
ARMLIB CLNU49L1 Cleaner 4,105
ARMLIB LT5000L3 Private Data 4,111
ARMLIB LT5003L3 Private Data 4,096

TS3100 inventory
tsmn.jpg
And tape 752vvvl3 is missing. How to get it back ? With Audit Library nothing happens. When i try to checkin, library report: library is full.

Your tape is in the I/O door of the library. The I/O door is used to insert/remove tapes without disrupting library operation. For this type of library TSM includes in its inventory all tapes in the slots assigned to the library [partition]. I/O door slots and dedicated cleaning slots are not included.

Do this:
checkin libvolume <mylibrary> search=bulk status=scratch checkl=b waitt=0
checkin libvolume <mylibrary> search=bulk status=priva checkl=b waitt=0

If your tape is scratch it will be inserted with the first command. The second command will find nothing.
If your tape contains data stored by TSM the first command will fail and the second command will insert it properly.

Hello thanks for the help, but I will try to explain...
I installed TSM a year ago and everything worked fine until yesterday.
Commands that you have written I have tried already and TSM says: library is full, but slot 23 is empty.
I try to put tape 752vvvl3 in empty slot and then run audit but nothing happen. Then i put tape 752vvvl3 in I/O and try with checkin.
Тhis cartridge(752vvvl3) has information and TSM see it before i run audit library without checklabel=barcode parameter and TSM delete label on that tape.
I think the audit library command is not working properly.

Please post:
1. show slots <mylibrary>
2. q vol 752vvvl3 f=d

I would like to understand how do you know TSM 'delete label on tape'?
There was a change of your library? I would say re-run the audit library with 'REFRESHstate=yes' but before that, post the information requested above.

1.show slots (mylibrary) is unknown command
2 q vol 752vvvl3 f=d - no match found...

Yesterday I tried with 'REFRESHstate=yes' but in this version 5.3.2.0 this command is not recognized.

Did you know that TSM 5.3 ended support on 2008?

You said volume 752vvvl3 has data. What data? backupset? export? dbbackup?

So, as per your library there are 2 free slots and one tape in the I/O. Is there any tape mounted/stuck in drives when you saw that? If not, try checkin out all volumes (you can use volrange or vollist to do it in one command and remove=no) then checkin them again using:

checkin libvolume <mylibrary> search=yes status=scratch checkl=b waitt=0
checkin libvolume <mylibrary> search=yes status=priva checkl=b waitt=0
checkin libvolume <mylibrary> search=bulk status=scratch checkl=b waitt=0
checkin libvolume <mylibrary> search=bulk status=priva checkl=b waitt=0

Then compare again TSM inventory with library inventory. If you still got a message saying 'library full' I suspect your library somehow changed (slots) and you might need to redo the drive and library paths.

Last edited:
There is no jam cartridge in Drive.
But the question is how to remove tape 752vvvl3 when there is no label on it (TSM dont see it).

I checked twice Drive and Library path and everything was OK

backup runs at night without error - everything is OK

I cannot fully understand what you want to achieve?

You said volume 752vvvl3 has data. What's in there? backupset? export? dbbackup?

I want to know why the audit library does not work when the act log says: everything is ОК

I think that when the audit library is included Drive should read the barcode on each cartridge, and this can not happen in 1 second... library has 22 slots with 22 tape.

and why TSM does not recognize 752vvvl3

backup's and administrative tasks/schedule running without problems...but *&$^#* audit library doesn't work.

I want to know why the audit library does not work when the act log says: everything is ОК

Audit library works fine. Check YOUR post #3 and #7. Audit library completed ok and library inventory match perfectly with TSM inventory, as per the information you provided.

I think that when the audit library is included Drive should read the barcode on each cartridge, and this can not happen in 1 second... library has 22 slots with 22 tape.

Correct, but if you check your post #3 you specified checklabel=barcode.

and why TSM does not recognize 752vvvl3
I asked several times, what's in there? it is not a storage pool volume, is it a backupset?, export?, dbbackup? scratch? don't know?

The tape is a private volume with dbbackup or other information, i don't now.

May be wrong but I think the following ...

When I write audit library data is compared with the library(hardware inventory) database and TSM database. And the Drive must go through all the tapes.
When i write audit libray without checklabel=barcode then was erased that tape from TSM database.

That is correct (mount every tape in drives to read internal label) if you use checklabel=yes.
Audit library will NEVER 'erase' volumes/tapes from TSM database, unless it is a bug that I am not aware of. It might remove volumes from the libvolume inventory if it detects inconsistencies.

So, try checkin in the volume as private. If you got a message saying the library is full... check my post #12.

I will try to explain what happened today. Same thing happened with tape 752vvvl3.

I check out 3 tapes with: move media (media_name) stgp=(stgp_name) ovflocation=(room1).

Then added 3 tapes with: checkin libvol (library_name) search=b checklabel=barcode status=scratch

3 Tapes appeared in TSM database q libv with their barcode and status scrath.

Then I run: audit library (library_name) search=yes and TSM display this : ANR8941W The volume from slot-element 4102 in drive DR00 (mt1.0.0.1) in library
ARMLIB is blank. And other two messagess with slot-element other two tape.

Then TSM display: ANR8455E Volume 325DDDL3 could not be located during audit of library ARMLIB.
Volume has been removed from the library inventory.

And 3 new scratch tape disappeared from TSM q libv.

Then I can't added them in any way. TSM says: library is full...https://www-304.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg1IC35882

With: label libvol armlib checkin=scratch search=yes labelsource=barcode I return 3 tapes to TSM q libv but 752vvvl3 is still missing.

Back