Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] need help with mass tape copy

2010-09-23 13:14:53
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] need help with mass tape copy
From: Ed Wilts <ewilts AT ewilts DOT org>
To: VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2010 12:14:48 -0500
On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 10:59 AM, X_S <netbackup-forum AT backupcentral DOT com> wrote:
we are using nb 6.5.5 on windows 2003 platform with vault.  we need to copy a few hundred 9940 tapes to LTO4 media and am looking for the best and most efficient way to copy the tapes.  my other question is, can i use one media server to read the 9940 tapes and have them duplicated to another media server that has the LTO4 drives attached?

It's actually uglier than you think because you don't really duplicate tapes - you duplicate images.  So you need to identify all of the tapes for a particular image, make sure they're in the library, and then duplicate the image.

If you're lucky, you can fit all of the 9940 tapes in the library at once.  If not, you have a lot of groundwork to do.

I think that Symantec could sell a "tape migrator" option for NetBackup....

   .../Ed

Ed Wilts, RHCE, BCFP, BCSD, SCSP, SCSE
ewilts AT ewilts DOT org