Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] CLI or GUI

2006-06-30 13:19:17
Subject: [Veritas-bu] CLI or GUI
From: jlightner at water.com (Jeff Lightner)
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2006 13:19:17 -0400
For activity monitoring you can't beat the GUI.

For newbies (and tasks done infrequently) the GUI is nice as it often
lets you figure out what to do from its menu selections.

For experienced users the CLI is more flexible because you can give the
flags you want to commands and can also do certain things more quickly.
Also knowing the CLI lets you script things.  A good example is downing,
upping or resetting drives.  I original learned how to do that via the
GUI device monitor but found it incredibly slow.   With the command line
I was able to script it so I could bounce a drive on the master and all
media servers in less time than it took to just shutdown a single drive
on all servers.