Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Best way to backup 3TB of data daily?

2005-05-12 21:55:34
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Best way to backup 3TB of data daily?
From: Sto Rage© <netbacker AT gmail DOT com> (Sto Rage© )
Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 18:55:34 -0700
<*please don't flame me for bringing up a non Veritas solution*>We were in the
same situation last year. We took a different approachthough. This year we
began deploying NetApp's Open System Snapvault(OSSV) on these servers and
started backing them onto NetApp'sNearline filers R200. After the inital full
backup, its justincremental forever over the network, but each backup is a full
backupon the  R200 because it uses snapshots. Has been working great so far. We
are able to retain upto 6 to 8 weeks of backups on disks. For someof the
critical systems we have increased the backup frequency to 4 to8 hour
intervals.  Our SLAs have improved dramatically. We havescripts that allows
doing Oracle hot backups too.We now only do monthly offsite via NDMP using
Netbackup now. No morenightly tapes!Now if Veritas can fix their limitation of
having to keep the NDMPimage size to less than a TB. it would make our life
much morehappier.-GPS: I am just a statisfied customer and not affiliated to
any vendormentioned here.