Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Best way to backup 3TB of data daily?

2005-05-11 14:06:38
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Best way to backup 3TB of data daily?
From: alfonso.correas AT arrakis DOT es (Alfonso Correas Serrat)
Date: Wed, 11 May 2005 20:06:38 +0200
--Apple-Mail-2-88645464

El 11/05/2005, a las 16:24, Piszcz, Justin escribi=F3:

There are many ways to attach this. As many told: Multistreaming over=20
multiple media servers. A multiple gigabit (network teaming) over a=20
pair of GigE will suffice you.

  Other way is to attach one media server to the same disk cabinet and=20=

do a snapshot or break a third mirror, force the import of the=20
DiskGroup, mount on the media server and backup locally. We do this=20
routinely with a pair of Sun machines connected to a EMC Clariion array=20=

via breaking a third mirror to backup >1.8Tb each  on 4 LTO-2 drives.

  Having 5 LTO2 drives over the same HBA is a bad idea, doesn't matter=20=

if you have 2Gb/sec SAN. My 'personal limit' is on 4 drives over the=20
same HBA. 5 is overkill and probably they fight for bandwidth.

Setup was a PITA (Volume Mgr need to be the same version >4.x) and you=20=

need to stop the database just for some seconds (if there's a database=20=

on those disks), split and mount the DG on the other machines. Going=20
via third mirror will need close integration with the array via=20
Powerpath or vendor managing utilities.

BTW: PowerPath and Volume Manager sometimes start a catfight between=20
them and do some weird things. Be prepared to sweat.

Best regards,
  Alfonso Correas

> I was curious if anyone here is backing up large amounts of data, such=20=

> as large databases and fileservers that are 3TB or bigger.
> What is the best way to accomplish such backups?
> =A0
> Here is one =91idea=92 =96 please let me know if there are other, =
better=20
> ways:
> =A0
> If one can sustain 100 megabytes per second over a gigabit link=20
> writing to multiple (5) LTO2 tape drives, each doing 20MB/s then it=20
> would still take around 8 hours to backup this information,=20
> essentially you would need a complete backup solution JUST for this=20
> 3TB array.
> =A0
> What are some good methods when backing up such large data sets?=

--Apple-Mail-2-88645464

El 11/05/2005, a las 16:24, Piszcz, Justin escribi=F3:

There are many ways to attach this. As many told: Multistreaming over
multiple media servers. A multiple gigabit (network teaming) over a
pair of GigE will suffice you.

 Other way is to attach one media server to the same disk cabinet and
do a snapshot or break a third mirror, force the import of the
DiskGroup, mount on the media server and backup locally. We do this
routinely with a pair of Sun machines connected to a EMC Clariion
array via breaking a third mirror to backup >1.8Tb each  on 4 LTO-2
drives.

 Having 5 LTO2 drives over the same HBA is a bad idea, doesn't matter
if you have 2Gb/sec SAN. My 'personal limit' is on 4 drives over the
same HBA. 5 is overkill and probably they fight for bandwidth.

Setup was a PITA (Volume Mgr need to be the same version >4.x) and you
need to stop the database just for some seconds (if there's a database
on those disks), split and mount the DG on the other machines. Going
via third mirror will need close integration with the array via
Powerpath or vendor managing utilities.

BTW: PowerPath and Volume Manager sometimes start a catfight between
them and do some weird things. Be prepared to sweat.

Best regards,

 Alfonso Correas

if anyone here is backing up large amounts of data, such as large
databases and fileservers that are 3TB or =
bigger.</x-tad-bigger></fontfamily>

accomplish such backups?</x-tad-bigger></fontfamily>

=
ly>

please let me know if there are other, better =
ways:</x-tad-bigger></fontfamily>

=
ly>

megabytes per second over a gigabit link writing to multiple (5) LTO2
tape drives, each doing 20MB/s then it would still take around 8 hours
to backup this information, essentially you would need a complete
backup solution JUST for this 3TB array.</x-tad-bigger></fontfamily>

=
ly>

methods when backing up such large data =
sets?</x-tad-bigger></fontfamily></excerpt>=

--Apple-Mail-2-88645464--