Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] network connection timed out(41)

2005-02-09 14:53:23
Subject: [Veritas-bu] network connection timed out(41)
From: ewilts AT ewilts DOT org (Ed Wilts)
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2005 13:53:23 -0600
On Wed, Feb 09, 2005 at 11:25:38AM -0500, Paul Keating wrote:
> Is there any reccommendation for NICs that do not have forced modes for
> GigE?
>
> my PC servers are only
> 10HD
> 10FD
> 100HD
> 100FD
> Auto/Auto.
>
> Auto/Auto negotiates to GigE on switch ports that are forced 1000FD, but
> I haven't found a way to force the NIC to 1000FD, so right now all
> windows server NICs are set to Auto/Auto, and their switch ports are set
> to 1000FD

I believe the RFC for GigE demands auto/auto.  I have never experienced
an issue with GigE autonegotiation but many, many issues at 100mbps.

> Do you guys work in environments where you actually have access to
> switches and servers?

Nope but I have a really good relationship with the guys that do.
If you want to survive as a server admin, you have to be on good terms
with the network folks or they can make your lives a living hell.

> My environment is *tight* in that respect.....I have to get network to
> check switches, Windows admins to check Windows servers, Unix admins to
> check solaris boxes.....All I have "FULL" access to is the backup
> infrastructure.

I have full rights to just about everything.  I don't manage most of
those and am very careful about what I look at versus what I touch (even
for NetBackup clients) but I can at least look.  My position is rare for
an organization this size but I'm one of my most senior technical people
here.

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:ewilts AT ewilts DOT org