Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Pre and Post jobs

2005-02-09 14:56:59
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Pre and Post jobs
From: ewilts AT ewilts DOT org (Ed Wilts)
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2005 13:56:59 -0600
On Wed, Feb 09, 2005 at 11:28:17AM -0500, Ashby, Andrew wrote:
> NB5.1 MP1 - Windows 2003
>
> I am still searching, but is there a way for a client to pre and post
> stuff for a backup that is run by Netbackup Scheduler?

You've already been pointed to the various notify scripts but nobody has
given you any caveats regarding their usage.  They can be very evil if
you're multi-streaming - there is no hook that says that allows you to
do something at the beginning of all your jobs, let you back up all your
streams, and then do something at the end.  You have to guess yourself
if you're first or last.  You're also responsible for managing errors
yourself.  You can't really count on bpend_notify running after the last
stream.

> I'd like the client to stop some services at backup start and restart
> after the backup stops.

In theory, it's easy.  In practise, it can be very, very hard to get
right.

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:ewilts AT ewilts DOT org