Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Remote Connection to Master Server

2004-02-18 18:15:32
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Remote Connection to Master Server
From: l-veritas-bu AT kdace DOT com (David Smith)
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 18:15:32 -0500
At 2:39 PM +0000 2/18/04, Dave Markham wrote:
>I am trying to find someway of administering a remote master server without
>using jnbSA  tunnelled through SSH onto my windows box running x windows
>stuff. Its just too slow.
>The only client side guis i can find on the media are the User backup and
>restore guis, so where is this Remote Administration tool ???

There are 3 ways of doing this.

1 - use VNC on the unix box to act as the display.  VNC is MUCH
faster than native X for remote display and this is the way I work
when I log into work via VPN as if my connection dies the GUI is
still up and running when I reconnect.  You do this by installing vnc
on both systems (it is cross platform) then running vncserver on the
unix box, then connect to that display from the pc just as if you
were using a Xserver, but faster.

2 - use the PC java client, this is just like jnbSA but runs on
windows and connects back to the master.  This is faster than X
usually.  If your unix box is overloaded do this rather than #1.  BTW
it works just like the UNIX GUI.

3 - use the native windows admin client.  This is somewhat tricky as
you have to define your PC as a server in bp.conf and your logins
have to match or it won't work.  The gui looks and works somewhat
different but it does work.  Some things are nicer (policies are laid
out nicely IMO) but some things are harder (restores IMO).  Note
backup/restore and admin are different executables in this setup.