Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Remote Connection to Master Server

2004-02-18 13:20:55
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Remote Connection to Master Server
From: Joost Mulders <mail AT j-mulders.demon DOT nl> (Joost Mulders)
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 19:20:55 +0100 (CET)
Hi Lindsay,

Yes, the Windows console needs a lot of ports open between you and the and
all your backup servers. It will be difficult to get this through a firewall.

But, I have another suggestion that is applicable if you have 4.5FP3 or
higher. Only for FP3 and higher, there is a fully functional java gui
available for both Windows and Unix.

I recently tested, succeeded (and documented ;-) a config whereby you run the
java gui "at home" and connect to the master server whereby ALL traffic is
tunneled (and encrypted) via ssh. The story is at:

 http://www.j-mulders.demon.nl/netbackup/nbu-env/doc/FIREWALL

under the section "Java GUI & SSH Tunneling"

Basically, it consists of these steps:
1. install java gui at home and modify hostname.vrtsnbuj/nbj.conf
   to use vnetd (NBJAVA_CONNECT_OPTION=1)

2. Open an ssh session with two tunnels
   joost@home $ ssh -L 13722:backupserver:13722 \
                    -L 13724:backupserver:13724 root@backupserver

   Most windows ssh software can do tunneling also (putty, securecrt et.al)

3. Start Java GUI and specify 'localhost' or your 'home' system name in the
   login dialog. Username /password must be a user living on the backup
   server (as usual)

That's all. All traffic will be encrypted and send via port 22 to the
backupserver. This also circumvents the dreaded 'clear text' passward issue
for the java gui.

Hope it's useful,

Best regards, Joost

--