Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] backup taking too long

2002-09-18 19:17:04
Subject: [Veritas-bu] backup taking too long
From: ssesar AT rcn DOT com (Steven L. Sesar)
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 19:17:04 -0400
On Wednesday 18 September 2002 17:43, Guy Speier wrote:
> confirm that you NIC is running at Full duplex.  Try an ftp to/from the
> netbackup server of a LARGE (> 100MB) file.  Perform both a put AND a get
> from both the nb master as well as the nb client.  Confirm that you are
> getting proper throughput on each of the 4 transfers.  If you are not, get
> with your network admin on the network side, and use the ndd commands on
> the UNIX side to run at full duplex.

..specifically, you should also check that you don't have a port speed
mismatch between your server and the switch port.

Here's a quick script that we use to verify port speed. If your using ge | le
interfaces, modify as appropriate.

#!/opt/perl/bin/perl -w

# Script parses an ifconfig call and determines device stats

use Sys::Hostname;
use strict;

my $system = hostname();
my $ifconfig = "/usr/sbin/ifconfig -a";
my ( $iface, $ip, $upflag, $device, $instance, $cmd );
my ( $status, $mode, $speed );
my ( @data );

#
# Run ifconfig to get the interfaces and ip addresses
#
open IFCFG, "$ifconfig |" or die "Cannot run $ifconfig: $!\n";

while (<IFCFG>){
    if( /^hme/){
        @data = split " ";
        $upflag = scalar( grep /UP/, @data );
        $iface = $data[0];
        chop $iface; # Remove trailing ':'
                # Filter out virtual interfaces (hme0:1)
                next if( $iface =~ /\:/ );

        # Get the next line with the IP Address
        if( $upflag ){
            $_ = <IFCFG>;
            @data = split " ";
            $ip = $data[1];
        } else {
            $ip = "unknown";
        }
    } else {
        next;
    }

        # Parse the device name from the instance number
    $device = $iface;
    $instance = chop $device;

        #

[19:14:45]
        # If this is a HME device query it for info
    if( $device eq "hme" ){
        $cmd = "/usr/sbin/ndd -set /dev/$device instance $instance";
        system( $cmd );
        $cmd = "/usr/sbin/ndd -get /dev/$device";
        $status = `$cmd link_status`;
        $speed = `$cmd link_speed`;
        $mode = `$cmd link_mode`;
        # Otherwise we know it is a 10 HDX