Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Upgrading Windows NT clients

2001-04-02 14:04:52
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Upgrading Windows NT clients
From: sdvorak AT veritas DOT com (Stephen Dvorak)
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2001 11:04:52 -0700
Unfortuneatly, you are right.  One of the key reasons NT is handled
differently than Unix is the registry.  In order for us to support the use
of the registry, we have to use MS security, as well as MS API calls.  Given
that our client in already installed, there might be ways we could overcome
this in the future for patches and upgrades.  But the initial client install
on NT/2000 will always require a push from a validated domain user for the
above reasons.

Jason, one thing you can do in your environment, is create a user across all
the seperate domains with the same name and password (with admin rights).
This can then be used to do your patches and upgrades.  I realize that this
is not the most secure setup, but would be required to keep you from having
to run a seperate install in each domain, since you have no centralized
security.

Bob Lawerence, I do agree with the pain in doing installs/upgrades on Unix
systems with an NT Master.  This is a problem I have been requesting a
solution from NetBackup engineering on for about 6 months now.  This is
begining to be a more common scenario.  There is no need to keep a seperate
NT Master if you have a Unix Master now.

Also, mention was made that you need to setup an NT 'distribution' box as a
media server in bp.conf to give it rights to do upgrades/patches.  This is
not required, you can pick ANY NT/2000 box to do the distribution from.

Hope this clears up some confusion.
-Steve