Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Upgrading Windows NT clients

2001-04-03 20:17:25
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Upgrading Windows NT clients
From: fx AT Veritas DOT com (fx [François-Xavier Peretmere])
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2001 02:17:25 +0200

 to complete:

 the remote installation & patch process of WinNT is completly handled
by the setup programm, setup.exe. you need:

 1) a WinNT machine
 2) a connexion with admin right to the remote machine you're installing
    or patching (from a NetBackup view, of course).

 if you have a domain & the domain admin is part of each local admin group,
then when you are logged with domain admin account, you are de facto local
admin on each of this machine. but it's to easy, no glory here.

 if you don't have a domain, you can "simulate" by having for each machine
a same named local account (beware the localization, here in France,
"administrator"
is "administrateur" fe.) with the same password. this way, when logged on one of
this machine, you will access to all others with admin rights, without a
password
being asked, as your local account/password matches the remote one.

 as a side note, when you'll be fed up of manual synchronization of those
passwords,
you'll end up setting up a domain ;-)

 last scenario, you have an admin account on each of those machine, *but*
logon and/or password differ. you still have a solution before going on
each machine or setting up a silent install, do a manual connexion on
the target before running the install / patch program. one way to do
so is to use the net.exe command:

net use \\target1\ipc$ /user:admin_account1 password1
net use \\target1\ipc$ /user:admin_account2 password2

 and so on. now you have a admin token for each of the target you just
"netused". install or patch. then remove the connexion with "net use ... /d"
(tip: "net use * /d" will end *all* SMB sessions).

 this is not really NetBackup stuff, but WinNT networking stuff.

 hth,
      fx

#include <VRTS/std_disclaimer.h>

--
      fx AT veritas DOT com      | Yesterday it worked.
François-Xavier Peretmere | Today it is not working.