Networker

Re: [Networker] How to trim the index directories

2010-06-04 11:33:47
Subject: Re: [Networker] How to trim the index directories
From: Tim Mooney <Tim.Mooney AT NDSU DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2010 10:30:24 -0500
In regard to: Re: [Networker] How to trim the index directories, MIchael...:

"STANLEY R. HORWITZ" <stan AT temple DOT edu> wrote on 06/04/2010 10:58:38 AM:

On 06 4, 2010, at 10:52 AM, MIchael Leone wrote:

I know I used to know this, but I seem to be drawing a blank now. I'm
running out of room on my NW server, and it's due to the index
directories
taking most of the room. I realize that's because I probably have a
very
long retention on some of my clients.

Anyway, how can I trim down the size of these folders? I would need to

expunge some retained history, I think. But I don't know what to do.

Sorry for the silly questions.

nsrim -l will expunge the latest entries for a given client. See the
nsrim man page for details.

Thanks; I knew I remembered something like this. The Command Reference
states "Removes the oldest full save and all save sets dependant on it
from the online
index. Browse and retention policies are ignored". So ... how do I know
what are the "oldest"?

You could look at the savesets in the "Media->Indexes" area of NMC, or
you could report on it with mminfo (use the -ot flag).

Does that mean it keeps only yesterday's backup,
and throws everything else away? Or does it mean it throws away the 12
oldest savesets (as an example)?

It means exactly what it says: "Removes the oldest full save and all save
sets  depen-dant on it".  What it does in your environment depends on what
schedule you're using.  For example, if you have a client that does a full
backup every single day, then nsrim -l will remove just one saveset's
index data from your client file index.  If, on the other hand, you have
a client that uses a schedule that's a quarterly full (i.e. a full every 3
months, with leveled or incremental backups after that) then it will
remove about three months worth of index entries.

The description shows like the reverse of what you say - sounds like it
doesn't expunge the latest (i.e., newest) savesets, but the oldest.

It expunges the *oldest*.

Which
is fine, and what I want, but I'd like to be able to tell it to expunge
anything older than a specified time (for instance, keep one year's worth,
and dump the rest).

You can't.  It expunges backup "cycles".

Can you do a "nsrim -l -n", to show you what it would be expunging?

You can run

        nsrim -l -n -v -c client_name

but in my experience, it doesn't really tell you what it would purge
(unless I'm not reading it correctly, which is possible).

Tim
edu