Networker

Re: [Networker] How to trim the index directories

2010-06-04 12:03:26
Subject: Re: [Networker] How to trim the index directories
From: Tim Mooney <Tim.Mooney AT NDSU DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2010 11:00:48 -0500
In regard to: Re: [Networker] How to trim the index directories, MIchael...:

"STANLEY R. HORWITZ" <stan AT temple DOT edu> wrote on 06/04/2010 11:42:21 AM:

On 06 4, 2010, at 11:38 AM, MIchael Leone wrote:

That shows me everything out there. Is that what this command does -
delete everything except the very latest saveset? So the only history
would have left is last night's backup?

Any way to specify how much (i.e., how far back) to expunge? For
example,
any saveset older than 12 months? Doesn't appear to be ?

nsrim -l will delete the index entries for the OLDest saveset, as
per its man page.

Yes, I got that; it deletes the single oldest saveset.

No, it doesn't!  It does exactly what the man page says it does, first
sentence:

       -l     Removes  the  oldest full save and all save sets dependant
on it
              from the  online  index.

As I said before, it removes the oldest backup *cycle*.  How
many savesets are in a cycle is dependent on your environment.

What I was
wondering, if there was some way to more robustly delete a range of
savesets, ideally with a single command. And it doesn't sppear to be.

There is, but I really recommend you just stick with nsrim.  You're just
asking for trouble if you start manually purging individual saveset
entries.

Tim
edu