Networker

Re: [Networker] The volid on tape and the one in media base is not the same!

2008-05-27 11:53:28
Subject: Re: [Networker] The volid on tape and the one in media base is not the same!
From: Fazil Saiyed <Fazil.Saiyed AT ANIXTER DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 27 May 2008 10:50:17 -0500
Hello,
I am not AIX person, but if i understood your problem correctly, your
drives are getting out of sequence either due to reboot, being off-line,
servicing etc, What i wanted to say is to "bind"  the drives using OS,
Fiber Channel utilities, exact procedure  to achieve the "Persistent
binding" is detailed by the HBA Vendor or OS Guide.
Some folks on the list are proficient on AIX and may be able to help you
more.
Basically, this steps will most likely prevent  drivers being out of
sequence" out of order" to the OS and Networker. Even Networker
install\admin Guide have some tips.
When this condition occours, Networker tries to issue cmd to for example
only say \\.\Tape0, while the cmd is actually received by Device known to
the AIX server as \\.\Tape1, meaning, wrong drive\device is being called
upon, therefore the result could be that you are unable to mount or use
the drives.Sometime rebooting the server corrects the issue, but more
importantly, it is important to recognize the root cause of it and resolve
it.
Output below applies to Windows server using IBM  Tape Drives, attached
here as an explanation  only.

" Version 6.1.6.2 and later versions of the device driver have an option
for enforcing file names for
   tape drives that will persist across reboots of the operating system.
For example, if your tape drive
   has the name \\.\tape3 and the persistent naming option is used, then
\\.\tape3 will be reserved for
   use by that device after an operating system reboot.  To take advantage
of this feature, place a DWORD
   value in the registry called PersistentNaming and assign it a value 1
at:

   HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\ibmtp2k3

   and reboot your system."
HTH

ramo <networker-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
Sent by: EMC NetWorker discussion <NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU>
05/27/2008 10:26 AM
Please respond to
NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU

NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
cc

Subject
[Networker] The volid on tape and the one in media base is not the same!

thx Fazil Saiyed,but i have not anderstand what u mean...plz explain
more,i m new in the networker and Aix os.

|This was sent by bob_omar_31 AT yahoo DOT com via Backup Central.

type