Networker

Re: [Networker] To index save or not?

2008-04-10 13:56:18
Subject: Re: [Networker] To index save or not?
From: MIchael Leone <Michael.Leone AT PHA.PHILA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 13:52:39 -0400
EMC NetWorker discussion <NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU> wrote on
04/10/2008 01:27:08 PM:

> On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 12:51:32PM -0400, MIchael Leone wrote:
> > > Right.  I was mentioning 'scanner -m' earlier, which deals with the
> > > media database.  The File database is different.  After the browse
time
> > > expires, the file indexes are purged from the database.  So to do a
file
> > > recovery (not a saveset recovery), you'd need those indexes.
> > >
> > > If the client is still active, but you need the older indexes, the
two
> > > most common ways to merge them in would be 'nsrck -L7' to read an
older
> > > save of the indexes, or 'scanner -i' to recreate the indexes from
the
> > > saveset on tape.
> >
> > OK! So when the volume is in the database, but is beyond the browse
time,
> > I need to do a "scanner -i", because I *don't* save the indexes on
tape
> > with the job, if I want to get a specific file. This re-creates the
> > listing of all the files in the savesets that are on the tape.
>
> Do you save the indexes to tape at all (even if it's via a separate
> job)?

Yes; we make a bootstrap job every week (and every month, of course). So
all the indexes are there, but not saved with the individual clients/jobs.

So I could load the bootstrap tape (which has all the client indexes on
it), and do a "nsrck -L7". Or do a "scanner -i" from the tape in question.

> > AH! Yes, I have a tape here that was apparently created by NW, but is
> > *not* in the media database. I guess somebody inadvertently deleted
the
> > volume from the media database (before my time; this tape is from
about 6
> > months before I started here). This presumes that there's an index on
> > tape? Or does that not matter?
>
> We can't guess.  All you know is that it's not in the database.  You
> might want to examine it with scanner to determine if it should be
> re-introduced to the database, or if you want to label it as an
> available tape for backups.

No, I'd want to save it, at least for a while. My understanding is that we
have never saved indexes with jobs, so the tape should just have savesets
on it, no indexes. So I'm guessing I need a "scanner -i" here.