Networker

Re: [Networker] To index save or not?

2008-04-10 13:51:22
Subject: Re: [Networker] To index save or not?
From: MIchael Leone <Michael.Leone AT PHA.PHILA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 13:48:24 -0400
Excellent information from Tim Mooney,  Darren Durham and Rick Brode. You
are all a GREAT resource.

To summarize:

- if tape is still in the media database (i.e., has not been recycled
(relabeled))
  - if beyond retention time (i.e., savesets marked as "recyclable")
    - if you know EACTLY the file you want
      - no need for "scanner i"; just run "Saveset recover", and specify
the file you want
   - else (don't know the EXACT filenames and paths you want)
      - if index exists on tape (i.e., "index saved as part of job")
        - do a "nsrck -L7" to restore the list of files in the saveset
from the index on tape, then recover
      - else (index was not saved with job)
         - do a "scanner i" to restore the list of files in the saveset,
then recover
     - END
  - END
- else (tape not in media database at all)
  - do a "scanner -i" to populate the media database, then do a recover
-END

So for my situation here .. since the savesets are beyond retention, BUT I
know the name of the 1 file in the saveset I need, then I can do a saveset
recover, and specify the 1 file I need, and go. Even tho there are no
indexes on tape, no problem. If I wanted more than 1 file (say an entire
folder), *then* I would need to do "scanner -i". If I had the index on
tape, I'd do "nsrck -L7 -t 04-30-2007 mailserver".

For my other situation (I have a tape that was made by this NW server, but
inadvertently got deleted from the media database), I do a "scanner -i".
And set an approrpiate retention time.

Did I miss anything?

--
Michael Leone