Networker

Re: [Networker] To index save or not?

2008-04-10 12:12:42
Subject: Re: [Networker] To index save or not?
From: MIchael Leone <Michael.Leone AT PHA.PHILA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 12:07:58 -0400

> > OK .. .well, in my case, isn't "scanner -m" needed? Because I'm beyond
the
> > retention period, the savesets have expired aand are marked as
> > "recyceable". If so, I need "scanner -m", yes?
>
> No.  This is the difference between "recyclable" (eligible to be
> recycled) and "recycled" (already happened).
>
> When the images expire, they become recyclable, but nothing happens to
> the online catalog.  The media databases remain intact.

Oh ...

> Only if the volume is recycled (and therefore erased) are the database
> entries normally removed.  So if you still have the tape, and you expect
> to read old data from it, I expect the media database still tracks the
> volume and the savesets on it, so 'scanner -m' is unnecessary.

Huh. So ... let's use a specific example ... I have an EOM tape from
2007-04-30. Well beyond browse time, but I do see it in the media
database, and it is listing what savesets are on the tape. So, presuming I
know which specific file of a saveset I want, I should be able to do a
restore by doing a "Saveset Recover", and choosing the 2007-04-30 saveset
(even tho that is well past the retention period).

And no "nsrck -L7" needed, no "scanner -i", no scanner -m"? Just have the
tape in the library, and rock-n-roll? :-) Or would I still need "scanner
-i" (yes, because I need to re-scan in the individual files in the
saveset?).

So when WOULD I need the "scanner -i" or "scanner -m", then? I'm back to
being really confused ... would I need to do "scanner -m" on a tape volume
that I do *not* see in the media database? Or "scanner -i"? And would I
then need "nsrck -L7"? (probably not)