Networker

Re: [Networker] To index save or not?

2008-04-10 12:22:58
Subject: Re: [Networker] To index save or not?
From: A Darren Dunham <ddunham AT TAOS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 16:19:24 +0000
On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 12:07:58PM -0400, MIchael Leone wrote:
> Huh. So ... let's use a specific example ... I have an EOM tape from
> 2007-04-30. Well beyond browse time, but I do see it in the media
> database, and it is listing what savesets are on the tape. So, presuming I
> know which specific file of a saveset I want, I should be able to do a
> restore by doing a "Saveset Recover", and choosing the 2007-04-30 saveset
> (even tho that is well past the retention period).

Yes.

> And no "nsrck -L7" needed, no "scanner -i", no scanner -m"? Just have the
> tape in the library, and rock-n-roll? :-) Or would I still need "scanner
> -i" (yes, because I need to re-scan in the individual files in the
> saveset?).

Right.  I was mentioning 'scanner -m' earlier, which deals with the
media database.  The File database is different.  After the browse time
expires, the file indexes are purged from the database.  So to do a file
recovery (not a saveset recovery), you'd need those indexes.

If the client is still active, but you need the older indexes, the two
most common ways to merge them in would be 'nsrck -L7' to read an older
save of the indexes, or 'scanner -i' to recreate the indexes from the
saveset on tape.

> So when WOULD I need the "scanner -i" or "scanner -m", then? I'm back to
> being really confused ... would I need to do "scanner -m" on a tape volume
> that I do *not* see in the media database?

Correct.  That could be foreign media (never used by this networker
server), or perhaps an odd situation where the volume was manually
removed from the database before it was recycled.

> Or "scanner -i"? And would I then need "nsrck -L7"? (probably not)

Those two both attempt to get to a similar goal of placing certain file
indexes into the online catalog from tape.  The methods are different,
but you wouldn't normally use both commands.  (And in most situations,
'nsrck -L7' will be faster if it is available).

The subtle point is that after the browse period expires, Networker
removes the file indexes for that saveset from disk.  (They tend to take
up a lot of space).

After the retention period expires, the the volume is eligible to be
selected for recycling, but the media database continues to track the
savesets.  Only at recycle time will Networker automatically purge the
saveset information for that volume.