Networker

Re: [Networker] Slightly off-topic query

2006-07-12 09:15:42
Subject: Re: [Networker] Slightly off-topic query
From: Albert Eddie Contractor AFRPA CIO/IT <Eddie.Albert AT AFRPA.PENTAGON.AF DOT MIL>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 09:16:16 -0400
First of all, I would start by saying I don't consider this even a
little bit off-topic. It would appear to be a SPOT ON question for our
list.

That being said I would think your biggest challenge would be throughput
of the data.

We are constantly trying to speed up the throughput inside the backup
server, creating fiber switches to ensure servers that are sitting in
the same room can send/receive the data as fast as possible to speed up
the start/finish of the backup process.

So my first question would be, would this off-site library be attached
to a MAN hooked up to a separate GB network? Would the response time be
enough to support your business model?

What are the ramifications if someone requests a RESTORE of a file and
there is a delay because a network connection is not fast enough or is
down?

These are questions I would ask management to answer.

For those of you (more than I care to mention) who speak Latin
fluently... YES I KNOW there are NO CAPITOL LETTERS in Latin. <Grin> I
speak and type for an English speaking audience and "PREFER" to use the
caps I use for EMPHASIS. <Grin> Thank you for your understanding. /ALE

Semper Fidelis et Paratus! /ALE