Networker

Re: [Networker] Stop recycling of tapes

2005-10-20 14:43:47
Subject: Re: [Networker] Stop recycling of tapes
From: Dave Mussulman <mussulma AT CS.UIUC DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 13:40:47 -0500
On Wed, Oct 19, 2005 at 03:47:59PM -0500, Browning, David wrote:
> Hey everyone, just wondered if anyone has ever run into this situation.
>
> As some of you know, we had to bring up an emergency data center, complete
> with backup systems about 6 weeks ago, due to Hurricane Katrina.  Everything
> has been running fine, but now the next step is being planned.
>
> I have a powered off Legato server and tape library down in New Orleans.
> When power is restored to the data center (the building already has power,
> but we have not powered up equipment yet), is there any way to power up the
> Networker Server, and have it check the indexes, but NOT recycle any tapes.
> Eventually, we will want to recycle the tapes, but for the first 30 or 60
> days, we probably do not want to recycle any tapes.    We will want to start
> running backups once the data center comes up.  Therein lies the problem - I
> know I could extend the dates on FUTURE backups, but how do I change the
> expiration dates on tapes already written to?

As mentioned, you're worried about Networker recycling the tape, not
necessarily Networker knowing that the tape is recyclable but not
actively using it.

The easiest/low-tech solution is to load up the jukebox with new media,
and put the old media offline.  Networker can't recycle what it doesn't
touch.  When you're ready to recycle the media, just load it back into
the jukebox and Networker will know it can use it.

More complicated solutions can use nsrmm to change the expiration date
of a saveset on a volume, but if you had to leave the media in the
jukebox and still wanted to keep it safe, it's probably easier to mark
the mark the volume as readonly.  The other safety check, depending on
your media, is to mark the readonly toggle on the tape itself.
(Although I'm not sure what Networker would do if it tried to recycle a
tape it couldn't write to.) I wouldn't only toggle the readonly switch,
but I might do it in addition to other precautions (such as removing the
tape from the jukebox and marking the volumes as readonly in Networker.)

Dave, not envying your situation