Networker

Re: [Networker] HI All ! After I backuped Data of Server By LTO Tape. I write garbage data in header segment of LTO Tape by Tar

2004-11-29 11:24:38
Subject: Re: [Networker] HI All ! After I backuped Data of Server By LTO Tape. I write garbage data in header segment of LTO Tape by Tar
From: Darren Dunham <ddunham AT TAOS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 08:49:33 -0800
> Hi,
>
> You can try to label a new tape whith the same label of the erased one.
> Then, with dd, copy this label (I don't know how much blocks is a label,
> look at the OTF ) to your erased tape and then try to scan the tape.

That won't work, and its due to the behavior of the drive rather than
anything to do with Networker.  Rewriting anything to the tape (even to
replace the header) leaves an 'EOT' at the end of the newly written
section.  The drive will not allow you to read past that mark.

Several years ago there were tales that if you *really* had to try
something, you could try overwriting the EOT, then power off the drive
before a new one was written.  The theory was that this would prevent a
new EOT from hitting the tape, and a later attempt could read onto the
old section of data.

I've tried it a couple of times on old Exabyte 8mm tapes and I think I
tried it on a DLT7000 before.  They were always just tests rather than
serious attempts to recover needed data.  I never managed to get them to
succeed.  I just got lots of "synchronization errors".