Networker

[Networker] How to clone in parallel?

2004-11-29 14:15:38
Subject: [Networker] How to clone in parallel?
From: Craig Ruefenacht <craig.ruefenacht AT US.USANA DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 12:14:07 -0700
Hi,

There has been some discussion recently on this list about cloning, but,
I found it lacking in a detail that I'm interested in.

We are currently running Networker 6.1.3 on a HP-UX 11i machine.  We'll
soon be upgrading to Networker 7.1.2.  I'm looking for enlightenment on
cloning for both v6.1.3 and v7.1.2.

We do a full backup of a few machines (about 250 Gbyte total) on the
weekend and I recently started making a clone set of these full backups,
because we send the fulls offsite and want to keep a copy on-site.

As far as I understand it, the default behavior for cloning is to do it
in serial, i.e., one saveset at a time.  I believe this is how cloning
works if you have the Networker group do automatic cloning at the end of
the backup session.

It has been suggested by many that you can get cloning done in parallel.

Say you have 20 savesets that are multiplexed (4 streams at once) to a
total of two volumes (some savesets are on only one volume, some span
both volumes). These 20 savesets are (and will be) the only savesets on
those two volumes.  If running the nsrclone program via a script (or by
hand), exactly how can it be made to clone more than one saveset at one
time?  If I have a volume that had 4 save streams written to it at once
via multiplexing, can I have nsrclone take those 4 savesets and clone
them all at once, or does nsrclone have to de-mux the data and clone one
saveset, and then repeat the entire process for the other three, thus
taking upto 4 times as long to complete?

I've tried nsrclone with various switches (clone by specifying saveset
ids, volume names, volume ids, etc....) and it always appears to do the
cloning in serial, not parallel.

--
Craig Ruefenacht
UNIX Systems Administrator