Networker

[Networker] NDMP backup fails after one drive is removed from jukebox

2004-09-20 13:31:28
Subject: [Networker] NDMP backup fails after one drive is removed from jukebox
From: Joel Krajden <joelk AT CS.CONCORDIA DOT CA>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 13:32:30 -0400
Solaris 9/Networker7.1; NetApp running 6.5.2R1, Qualstar 8464 with 4 LTO drives.

The Solaris 9/Networker7.1 server controls the jukebox robotics and two
drives. Two drives in the jukebox are connected over SCSI to the NetApp.
Backups for the NetApp are over NDMP.

Last week one of the drives on the NetApp failed. The drive was removed and
the entry in the jukebox for that drive was set to disabled. The entry for
Networker for that drive was also set to disabled (taken out of service mode).

Tried to do backups from the NetApp using the remaining drive but just got
messages about terminating on signal 11 each time the remianing drive was
accessed.

I decided to delete the device entry in Networker for the remote drive that
was removed. This stopped the signal 11 errors. Had to do this with jbedit
because the GUI gave me endless complaints.  But than I got the following
messages when trying to load a tape in the remaining drive:
      Illegal Request, ATL     :
transfer empty - command aborted

BHTi    : no destination drive

EXABYTE : destination drive not installed

QUALSTAR: destination drive not installed

SPECTRA : destination drive not available

The NetApp sees the remaining drive and I can probe for tape drive status and
I can load and unload tapes via the jukebox front panel.

Decided to delete the second drive from Networker and put it back with jbedit.
It asked me for the element ID and gave me a deafult of [1] which I accepted.
This put back the drive but requests to mount tapes in this drive went the
first local drive on the jukebox and things hung.

Decided to remove the jukebox resource and reinstall using jbconfig.
After discovering the the auto-detected SCSI library and two local drives
information is requested for the next drive which I configure as a remote
drive and am prompted to configure the node on which the device is  being
configured  as  a Dedicated  Storage  Node (DSN) to which I respond [no] no.
Jbconfig exits with a message about a missing enabler licences. If I respond
yes I get the same message.

Now I am confused. My original installation was a migration update from 6.1.3
and I had reponded no to Dedicated  Storage  Node since on my Solaris server
backups other clients as well. But now I wonder which node is being referred
to: the netapp or the networker host. Either way I cannot get jbconfig to work.

.... lots of cursing ...

I recoverd nsrdb and returned to my original configuration before I started to
mess around. I disabled the two netapp attached drives and the netapp group.
At least I can back up my non netapp clients.

Anyone have experience with a situation like this and can throw some light.

Joel

--
| Joel Krajden              | Rm: LB-915,  Tel: 514 848-2424 3052         |
|                           | Fax: 514 848-2830                           |
| Senior Systems Analyst    | Email: joelk AT cs.concordia DOT ca

| Dept. of Computer Science | http://www.cs.concordia.ca/~staffcs/joelk   |
| Concordia University      |   Remember it's a circus and the clowns     |
| Montreal, Canada          |   are supposed to make you laugh, not cry.  |